Trainer Mode Turns Off when Riding

DanielK

Trainer Mode Turns Off when Riding

Post by DanielK »

I know this topic was addressed a few years back but wanted to put it out there again.

I started my trainer workout tonight and immediately my iBike went to "Trainer Off" even though I had put on the trainer setting. I replaced the battery on the iBike since it was down to 267 but still gave me a "Good Batt" reading.

In the previous post someone mentioned it is picking up wind but I didn't have any fans on. The only issue I could tell is that the mount is a little loose do due the double sided sticky tape losing it's adhesive so I need to replace that but doesn't move at all when I'm pedaling on my trainer. This is the first day that it occurred!!

Any suggestions or troubleshooting will be of much help! Very frustrating to have to do my intervals based on RPE!!
racerfern

Re: Trainer Mode Turns Off when Riding

Post by racerfern »

I JUST had this happen to me because I happened to do a hard reset. I was testing something unrelated that required a battery reset. The point is the unit went into trainer mode but as soon as I started pedaling it went out of trainer mode.

So... make sure you've gone through the entire startup sequence including, tilt calibration etc. After that entering trainer ON, keeps the unit in trainer mode.

Hope this helps.
Fernando
DanielK

Post by DanielK »

Thanks Fernando,

I don't think I did any resets or anything like that. I only changed the battery. I'll go through the whole set up sequence again and hopefully that'll help. I've been using my iBike for a few months now to include the trainer mode but this was the first time. Just very random! Hopefully this will help it!!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Make sure to do a Cal Wind, even when using your iBike indoors.

If the wind calibration is not done then the iBike may erroneously think it is seeing a big headwind/tailwind. The indicated presence of wind will shut off the indoor trainer feature.
John Hamann
DanielK

Post by DanielK »

Allowing it to do a Wind Cal did the trick! I've never had to do it before and don't remember ever reading about having to do it but either way it's good to go!!

Thanks for the quick help!
vmi2uscg

Post by vmi2uscg »

Thanks again for the tip. I'd recommend putting this in the next rev of the PM Operating manual. You guys did a great job describing how the iBike works, and one could logically assumed a Wind Cal need not be done for the trainer.

The iBike has a lot of functionality, therefore requires a lot of really well done documentation.

My $.02 after spending an hour with manual in front of me and a hammer at the ready next to me. ;-)
Farshad

Post by Farshad »

I am new to this and have only had my ipro for a couple of weeks. But I have had to do a lot of hard resets because I cannot get the HR strap to pair with the ibike. In any case everytime I did a hard reset, I could not get the Trainer mode to turn back on even though the screen would confirm that it is on. Finally I found that the only way to actually turn the Trainer back on after a hard reset is to put the ibike to sleep either manually or letting it time out. So this is what I do after a hard reset to turn the trainer on:
1 - Go to set up mode
2 - Press the up bottun a few time until user on/off is reached
3 - Turn user on and then turn trainer on. wait for confirmation
4 - Come out of the set up mode by pressing and holing the up button
5 - Re-enter the set up mode
6 - Press the up button a few times until battey voltage is shown
7 - Press the center button to put the ibike to sleep
8 - After a few seconds, press the center button to wake ibike up and wait for it to go through wind calibration and finding the sensors, then it will show that trainer is on. Only at this point the trainer is actually on. Basically, I suppose by putting ibike to sleep and waking it up, I am forcing it to do an Auto wind Calibration which allows the trainer to turn on.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your HR strap has nothing to do with Trainer off.

Make sure to do a wind cal prior to your indoor rides and all should be well.
John Hamann
Farshad

Post by Farshad »

I did not suggest that my trouble with HR strap had anything to do with the trainer on or off.

All I said was that, I have had to do a lot of hard resets because of the HR starp and have therefore had the same problem with the trainer on-off after every hard reset.

My steps noted above have been my way of fixing the trainer on-off issue after each hard reset.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Now that you're past the HR issue you need to look at your process. Part of the problem is every time you do a hard reset you need to do a tilt cal and a wind offset along with setting the time and date. So you should do a hard reset, go through the setup and then turn trainer on. That should do it.

Now if the unit is off for more than four hours when hitting the center button you will get:
BATT TEST
Wind Cal
Trainer On message if trainer mode is on
The basic screen.

If trainer mode is off you won't see the trainer message so you'll go to the user screen and turn trainer on. It's a relatively simple procedure, but it does assume you've done the necessary steps after a hard reset.
Fernando