Mac and iAero Won't Speak to Each Other

chrispy

Mac and iAero Won't Speak to Each Other

Post by chrispy »

I have an iAero (FW 1.30) and the 2.0.7 iBike2Mac application, with the latest USB driver installed, on a G4 PowerBook running OS X Leopard, 10.5.3.

I cannot get the Mac to talk to the iAero, no way, no how. The adapter is plugged directly into the USB port, the iAero is mounted and turned on, and I get no love.

I have some ride data to slurp off, prior to flashing to FW 1.31, but I can't even get that far. :-(

Help wanted!

Thanks,
Chris
chrispy

Re: Mac and iAero Won't Speak to Each Other

Post by chrispy »

I solved this problem accidentally, just now. I connected to the VPN at work, and got a dialog about a new network interface--the iAero's USB-to-serial adapter. I set up a null configuration for it in Network Preferences, and now the iAero works.

I guess the USB driver does not auto-load.
chrispy

Post by chrispy »

And now we're back to not working again.

I'm growing steadily more and more frustrated.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I am a life-long Mac user and I've been using my Mac with the iBike software since release 1.0.0 and with every release since then. No problems at any times.

I don't, however, use my Mac with a VPN.

Having answered hundreds of Windows tech support calls, I can tell you that they outnumber the Mac calls 99 to 1.

Please email me off-line and I'll put you in touch with the folks at Silicon Labs (the owners of the driver software). Perhaps they can figure out what is going on.

jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann
chrispy

Post by chrispy »

Well, I'm still stuck in limbo-land. Every once in awhile, my PowerBook will speak with my iAero, but most of the time, it won't.

(PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, OS X Leopard, 10.5.4).

To see if it was just something goofy with that machine, I installed the USB drivers and the iBike software on the Intel-based iMac. Still no joy.

(20" iMac, Core2Duo, 2.16GHz, 3GB RAM, OS X Leopard, 10.5.4).

Of note, I seem to have had my spate of trouble with opening the iAero ever since upgrading to 10.5.3. I wonder if the SILabs driver needs some porting work for 10.5.3 and onward?

John, I can appreciate that Macs tend to be a lot less trouble than Windows machines. That's one major reason that I own Macs (the other being that I'm a dyed-in-the-wool UNIX guy). Nonetheless, I'm having problems. Travis has been helpful, but he's a busy guy.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this. As a point of interest, I dtruss'd iBike2Mac to see what was going on, and every syscall to the SLABtoUART driver succeeded, yet the app still spat out the "iBike is not responding" dialog. I sent the output to Travis.

I'm puzzled. Is there anyone else out there trying to use an iAero with a Mac that is running Leopard 10.5.3 or 10.5.4?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I am. On 5 separate machines.

Perhaps your USB adapter is intermittent. Send me an email and we will send you a replacement USB adapter.
John Hamann
chrispy

Post by chrispy »

The replacement cable solved the "can't talk to the iAero" problem.

I am very, very pleased with the way you stand behind your product!

Thanks!