What if I lose weight?

skatay

What if I lose weight?

Post by skatay »

I'm on a mission to lose 20 pounds minimum. I'm losing 2 to 5 pounds per week. At what point should I redo the CD and 4 mile calibration rides?
iodaniell

Re: What if I lose weight?

Post by iodaniell »

A 20 pound change in whole body weight isn't going to make much difference in your power numbers. What will make more difference is your loss in strength as a portion of your muscle mass is catabolized during weight loss.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Take any given ride and change your weight by clicking the detailed tab and then the ibike settings button. Changes in weight by themselves are not significant power changers.

After twenty pounds you should do another set of CDs since your body shape will have changed significantly. There won't be a huge difference, but a couple of points of aero will change things. As iodaniell pointed out you will need to manage your weight loss so it's not just a bunch of muscle mass that is lost. In fact, more like one pound per week is ideal. That way you won't cannibalize your muscle tissue.
Fernando
rruff

Post by rruff »

Yes... 2-5lbs per week is too much... make sure it isn't water loss... drink plenty of water.

You can adjust your weight in the profile to account for weight loss. As racerfern mentioned, your air drag will go down a little also, but not as much as the weight.
skatay

Post by skatay »

Thanks for your replies folks. For my weight goals, I was using a frame of reference from a couple of seasons ago where I dropped 20-25 pounds in about six weeks with six days a week on the bike, and a low carb diet. I put it back on a year later after surgery and PT for a broken collarbone, and have been trying to get back to my riding and diet routine ever since. I'm trying to make this latest push stick. I'm 50 yrs old, 6'2" and 225 currently. I got as low as 199 in 2006. When I dropped that weight I felt pretty darn good, didn't feel like I lost muscle mass. My weight seemed to plateau when I hit 200.