What's up with the new Apple patent application?

PAllen

What's up with the new Apple patent application?

Post by PAllen »

Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/05/app ... -computer/
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: What's up with the new Apple patent application?

Post by Velocomp »

We’ve received many emails about Apple’s patent application for “Systems and Methods for Integrating a Portable Electronic Device with a Bicycle”.

We have read the claims made in the application and we would like everyone to know the following:

1) We are glad to see so much excitement about the use of an iPhone and iTouch as part of a bike computer; this is why we created the iBike Dash!

2) A patent application claims an invention which the inventors seek to protect.

According to the fundamental claim made in the patent application, the invention is a system that communicates and displays riding characteristics among a plurality of bicycles (more than one bike, such as would be in a group ride) in real time (that is, during the actual ride).

In plain English, Apple’s claimed invention is a bike computer feature. The "feature" is one of many that would be included in a bike computer (presumably, using the iPhone). For the "feature" to work, there would need to be multiple cyclists riding together, AND using bike computers that contain the "feature". The "feature" allows a bikes to display in real time the bike data from other bikes in the group also using the “feature”.

So, the invention claimed is a potentially new cycling computer feature. It is NOT a bike computer per se.

20 years ago, power measurement became a new feature for bike computers. Time will tell if Apple decides that this is a feature they want to develop, and cyclists decide to purchase bike computers that include this particular feature.

3) It’s important to understand that this is a patent application and that a patent has not been granted. There are many rules governing the granting of patents and no one knows if (or when) this patent will be granted.

Until the patent has been granted, the invention claimed is not protected by patent laws.

4) If the patent is granted, then the feature disclosed and claimed in the application will be protected by patent law. If the patent is not granted, then anyone would be free to develop the feature (unless a patent for the invention has been granted already to another inventor).

5) Even if the patent is granted eventually, we’d like you to know that the iBike Dash does NOT use the "features" claimed in Apple’s patent application. So, there is nothing to worry about with respect to the iBike Dash potentially “infringing” on Apple’s presumed invention.
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I wasn't worried about you guys "infringing" on them. It looked like to me they were trying to steal your ideas and hard work.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

The danger with Apple is they get many perceptions of their right(s) from the Legal group at Apple. As such, a zealous group tends to got into litigations very often - especially after the little guy. I would say that a fundamental reason behind this is the Bill Gates' theft of many early Apple ideas (one could argue that Apple stole them, first) - so I truly hope in this case that Apple leaves you guys alone - worst case scenario is you get a bag full of money from Apple to continue on with added development - even if that means keeping to Apple products and never adding other phone platforms in your stable. As far as patents go - who got their application in first - if it is the same idea - is what counts - when the idea(s) "infringe".

Tom
Russ

Post by Russ »

There was a quick review at Toms' s hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bicycl ... 11024.html#

Some of the comments are funny, I like this one best:

Luscious 08/07/2010 10:38 AM

Knowing Steve Jobs he'll sell it in two versions:

With the seat - iBike
Without the seat - iWedgie

Regards,
Russ
jlbeau

Post by jlbeau »

Will all the news Apple has been releasing surrounding their "iBike" patent application delay the release of the Dash? I could see Apple getting confrontational on the release of the App for the Dash in their App Store. Their was a recent online article in PC World that continues Apples PR assault on their patent application and their iBike features. What's the latest?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

There is no problem.

iBike has been a federally registered trademark of Velocomp since 2005, 4 years prior to the Apple patent application.

Underlying patents of the iBike were ISSUED in 2007, two years before the Apple patent APPLICATION was filed.

Apple has already approved the iBike Dash accessory (Phone Booth).

We expect approval of the iBike app in a few days. Note that Apple has approved the use of the name "iBike" for our app and, indeed, kicked off a few other app developers that tried to use the name iBike

We do not expect any delays.

What's really going on is extremely sloppy reporting by the press. Please send me the PC World link and I will try to straighten out that one, too.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Great!

Sounds like your ducks are in a row. Now as I round up the bucks for the Dash (and maybe a 2011 Madone....)

Tom
veloman

Post by veloman »

The field is getting more and more crowded . . . http://en.pedalbrain.com:/

It should be an interesting Interbike show this year.

-craig
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

veloman wrote:The field is getting more and more crowded . . . http://en.pedalbrain.com:/

-craig
These guys announced a cycling computer last December. They haven't yet taken orders or shipped anything.

We announced in late June and will start shipping this month.

There is a big difference between trying and doing.
John Hamann