Dash GPS elevation readout

joesamm

Dash GPS elevation readout

Post by joesamm »

I'm a mountain biker and I've had my Dash for about a week now. I'm trying to understand and correct the GPS elevation readout on my iPhone/Dash. My house (the starting point for most of my rides) elevation is 1410 feet (Garmin Colorado WAAS enabled) but the readout on the Dash is 420.21021 feet and does change as the ride progresses. Checking the ride data recorded by the Dash in the iBike computer app, the scaled display data seems to be correct. My question is why isn't the Dash readout, on the iPhone, similar to the data actually recorded; why does the GPS readout need 5 decimal places of precision (but can't show the correct feet)? I've tried entering various elevation reference numbers in advanced options, but that doesn't seem to affect the readout at all. Also, after reading through the detailed info on the Dash I have figured out that this particular model doesn't calculate or display slope data, and this is a real handicap for mountain bikers like myself who actually bike on mountain single-track trails and fire roads. Any chance that feature will be included in the base Dase in a future update?
Thanks for any help or info you can provide.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Dash GPS elevation readout

Post by Velocomp »

Which model of iBike Dash are you using?
John Hamann
joesamm

Post by joesamm »

I purchased the iBike Dash CC from the Apple Store.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

The values you have is suspiciously close to meters rather than feet. I wonder if that means something in this case?

Tom
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The elevation numbers you are reading are reported by your iPhone's GPS. I agree with Tom that it sounds like you are reading metric units.

Which app are you using? (iBike app or iBike Coach app)?
John Hamann
joesamm

Post by joesamm »

John-
Okay, how do I change the Units to read out in English? Wouldn't the Distance values also be in Kilometers if the GPS values are in meters? I'm reading mi/h for Speed, mi for Distance and whatever it is for the GPS value on my User Screens. I'm have both apps on my iPhone but I'm using the iBike app.
Joe
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When you launch the app, do you see an orange splash screen, or a picture of a cyclist?
John Hamann
joesamm

Post by joesamm »

John-
A picture of a cyclist and it is printed iBike is loading...
joesamm

Post by joesamm »

Here's an update...
Your question about which app I'm using got me to thinking, so I just did a quick check on the bike using the iBike Coach app. A different experience totally, I should have started with the iBike Coach app because now I have Slope, Elevation (reading correctly in feet), map, calories and so forth on the User Screens. When setting up the bike I didn't see my heart rate sensor show up, but the Speed sensor showed up fine. Any suggestions for what to plug in for Ride Position (I am mountain biking) or what to do about the heart rate?
Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The iBike Coach app does not yet report cadence and HR. Coming soon...
John Hamann