Yet another calibration ride question

babyboomer

Yet another calibration ride question

Post by babyboomer »

When I conduct a calibration ride I try to find a route where I will be unencumbered. Typically that has been the asphalt road that circumnavigates a local lake. Unfortunately, using this location has become increasingly problematic. Between the pedestrians, their children, their pets and, yes, other cyclists, it's becoming quite challenging to complete a ride without interruption. I try to follow all of the rules (seldom exceeding 15 miles per hour), but there are just too many hazards. After my last visit I abandoned my ride after fewer than five miles, and vowed never to return.

I'm looking for alternative locations for conducting my calibration rides, and was wondering what the restrictions are. Initially I thought that the lake was ideal because I could retrace the outbound route very accurately. Additionally, there are no stop signs or traffic signals. If I can find a stretch of road long enough on which there are no stop signs or traffic signals, would the fact that the inbound leg would be on the other side of the road make the cal ride less accurate?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Yet another calibration ride question

Post by Velocomp »

Your post begs the question: why are you doing so many cal rides?

It's OK if you stop at a light during a cal ride.

I always go to the other side of the road on my cal rides.

It sounds like we've (unintentionally) made the cal ride sound too restrictive. The important thing is to have consistent wind conditions both out and back. As long as your route is not too long, and as long as a weather front isn't coming in during your ride you should be OK.
John Hamann
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Velocomp wrote:Your post begs the question: why are you doing so many cal rides?

It's OK if you stop at a light during a cal ride.

It sounds like we've (unintentionally) made the cal ride sound too restrictive. The important thing is to have consistent wind conditions both out and back. As long as your route is not too long, and as long as a weather front isn't coming in during your ride you should be OK.
It's not your fault, it's mine.

I probably have attempted a lot of calibration rides. One of the reasons is because a majority of my calibration rides end with "bad cal." I think I've figured it out, though. The better my wind calibration, the more likely my calibration ride will succeed. I seem to get the best results when I do the wind calibration before I take the bike out of the car.

This last attempt was because I've lost twenty-seven pounds since the last calibration ride. I was told that I should do another calibration ride. Although this last one succeeded, I couldn't find it. I think the date on my Newton got changed. I do recall being prompted for strange things as I fumbled around getting the cal ride started. I suspect I inadvertently started some kind of restart sequence.

Anyway, it will be a lot easier now that I know I don't have to find laboratory conditions.
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Velocomp wrote:It's OK if you stop at a light during a cal ride.

Wait a minute! When I stop for a stop sign or traffic signal, won't the Newton think I've started the inbound leg?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Unless you have already traveled over one mile on the out leg, the Newton won't start the return leg, even if you stop.
John Hamann