Recalibrating wind and tilt

babyboomer

Recalibrating wind and tilt

Post by babyboomer »

On occasion I will recalibrate wind and tilt prior to starting a ride. I was just wondering whether those exercises accomplish anything when not followed by a new calibration ride. In other words, will the new tilt and wind calibrations be applied immediately, or are they effective only when followed by a calibration ride?
racerfern

Re: Recalibrating wind and tilt

Post by racerfern »

Unless you have a loose mount or you moved/adjusted anything on the stem or bars there is absolutely no need to perform a tilt calibration. It's been that way for quite some time. This applies to Gen III and Newton.

As far as wind offset, I did a wind offset when I did my cal ride and I haven't done another wind offset since. Out of sheer curiousity I have checked the wind offset number and it has varied from as high as 5.6 to a low of -4.2 but I have not hit the center button once in order to zero it. I've been tempted but so far I've listened to John and I have to say I have absolutely no wind issues. This applies to Newton.

So now the only thing I do before starting off is setting the starting elevation and I suggested that there be some easy way to set a "home" elevation.
Fernando
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

I find myself doing a TiltCal after firmware upgrades because that is the only way to get Setup to easily be closest to the set Elevation screen.

Without having to do WindCal using the Newton, it is frustrating to always have to go Wind-Tilt-CalRide-Battery-Elevation to set initial elevation.
How about reversing Wind and Elevation in the above sequence for the Newton?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

texmurphy wrote:I find myself doing a TiltCal after firmware upgrades because that is the only way to get Setup to easily be closest to the set Elevation screen.

Without having to do WindCal using the Newton, it is frustrating to always have to go Wind-Tilt-CalRide-Battery-Elevation to set initial elevation.
How about reversing Wind and Elevation in the above sequence for the Newton?
Agreed on both these very good points. It would be nice if FW upgrades did not bring you back to almost a hard reset.

Set elevation first is an awesome idea.
Fernando
rruff

Post by rruff »

racerfern wrote:Out of sheer curiousity I have checked the wind offset number and it has varied from as high as 5.6 to a low of -4.2 but I have not hit the center button once in order to zero it.
Can you say some more about that? That is a very large swing... doesn't that effect your power readings a lot? If not, what is different about how the Newton deals with wind offset vs the Gen3?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I wish I could say more about it. However even though I might get +4 in a very early morning calm wind I see readings right around zero. If I get a plus one or two when riding in one direction, I get -1 or -2 in the other.

Regardless of the apparent variations in wind offset actual displayed and recorded wind speed is spot on.
Fernando
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Can you say some more about that? That is a very large swing... doesn't that effect your power readings a lot? If not, what is different about how the Newton deals with wind offset vs the Gen3?
Ron,

It's not that I wish I could say more about it, I just don't know more about it. I'm not privy to any special info.

That said, it's almost like a table of numbers has been setup, X barometric pressure at Y temperature equals Z offset, regardless of what the screen shows. All I know is that it's spot on.
Fernando
babyboomer

Post by babyboomer »

Okay, so under what circumstances to I really need to perform new calibration ride. Since I started using an iBike, my total weight has dropped twenty-seven pounds. Is updating that number in the profile sufficient?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

babyboomer wrote:Okay, so under what circumstances to I really need to perform new calibration ride. Since I started using an iBike, my total weight has dropped twenty-seven pounds. Is updating that number in the profile sufficient?
Congratulations on the weight loss! Input your new and better numbers into the FAST START sequence and then it's definitely time for a new cal ride.
Fernando