Loose fitting on stem mount??

moyses3

Loose fitting on stem mount??

Post by moyses3 »

Just recently receieved my Newton+. I notice that when on the stem mount with the locking screw in place. The newton unit wobbles quite freely to the left and right not feeling completely secure or snug. It isn't likley to come off, more concerned over the accuracy with this movement.
1. is this normal?
2. will this effect the power reading?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Loose fitting on stem mount??

Post by Velocomp »

When you tighten the bolt fully the Newton should be secure.
John Hamann
rons

Post by rons »

I have encountered a slightly similar issue with my newton. The problem I have noted with the dual position mount is that I can not slide it full onto the mount. It will not pass the mini USB port rubber cover. It certainly will not reach the thumb screw mount. If one tries to attach the thumb screw without sliding onto the groove then it has to sit unlevel. When I slide it onto the groove it is very tight and I would think it is pretty secure but it certainly will not mount to the point of being able to screw it into place.

Another slight niggle is that the screws in the dual mount kit will not allow the mount to work on my stem. It would be a nice touch if there were longer screws added for stems and for mounting to the bar. Sure I can go to the hardware store and get what I need but it is just a delay in using the unit.

Ron
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rons wrote:I have encountered a slightly similar issue with my newton. The problem I have noted with the dual position mount is that I can not slide it full onto the mount. It will not pass the mini USB port rubber cover. It certainly will not reach the thumb screw mount. If one tries to attach the thumb screw without sliding onto the groove then it has to sit unlevel. When I slide it onto the groove it is very tight and I would think it is pretty secure but it certainly will not mount to the point of being able to screw it into place.

Another slight niggle is that the screws in the dual mount kit will not allow the mount to work on my stem. It would be a nice touch if there were longer screws added for stems and for mounting to the bar. Sure I can go to the hardware store and get what I need but it is just a delay in using the unit.

Ron
Please post images showing how the rubber plug is inserted into the USB port.
John Hamann
rons

Post by rons »

Since you asked that question I went back and looked at that aspect. I am not a bigger hammer type of user so if it does not fit smoothly then I look for options or help. It appears that the rubber bung must be carefully inserted or it gets in the way. After a couple of tries it is now working OK.
Ron
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

rons wrote:Since you asked that question I went back and looked at that aspect. I am not a bigger hammer type of user so if it does not fit smoothly then I look for options or help. It appears that the rubber bung must be carefully inserted or it gets in the way. After a couple of tries it is now working OK.
Ron
Good news!
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

I did an experiment, it is possible to screw in the locking screw with the iBike sitting on top of the mount tongue, then it will wiggle. I don't know it that is the problem but if the mount tongue is properly slid into the grooves on the Newton, then it is fairly snug, even without the bolt screwed in!
In fact I did one ride having forgot to screw it in and remarkably it did ok :-)

Russ