suggestion: a write up on the order of importance of calibra

rons

suggestion: a write up on the order of importance of calibra

Post by rons »

One thing that seems to be missing in documentation is the importance of the various calibrations and factors in the over all power calculation. Mathematically not all factors have the same importance to the calibration, some might be very minor while others may have a majour impact. As well some may be multiplicative (or even power functions) while others are just additive?

So what I suggest is a short article that states in order of importance each calibration step and those that are optional but will help getting that last bit of accuracy. Finally for the important steps the best practices procedure for the calibration procedures. Seems that there are a number of questions related to this an d one single article could resolve this as it applies to the Newton.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: suggestion: a write up on the order of importance of calibra

Post by Velocomp »

The Newton instructions, part 1, try to emphasize the importance of basic calibrations. Part two includes information regarding more advanced calibrations.

The Newton instructions have just been updated to December 2012, here:

http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2394
John Hamann
still-chasing

Post by still-chasing »

Just a heads up, the Newton instruction manual in Isaac help documents is still the old version "Firmware 600+ JUNE"
"
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

still-chasing wrote:Just a heads up, the Newton instruction manual in Isaac help documents is still the old version "Firmware 600+ JUNE"
"
Thanks for the nudge; we will update the Help menu on the next release.
John Hamann
rons

Post by rons »

Hi John, though better, but there still are gaps. The cal wind is mentioned on pages 8, 22 and 33 however the procedure is never described. In the forum it has all kinds of things which may or may not apply to the Newton such as cupping your hand over the wind port, doing a wind cal frequently, ie daily in a wind free place, but the manual never tells you what and why you would do this, but one thinks it might be important since it comes up before tilt and cal ride. So what I mean is in a simplified procedural way describe the steps, ie to get optimal performance from the Newton perform these steps: (after each point you can hyper link or describe the procedure)
1 tilt with a hyper link to the tilt procedure
2 wind cal
3- cal ride
4- coast down

In another list put the simplified procedure to get good results just the minimum steps
1- tilt
2- cal ride

Then you can do a set of daily minimal steps
ie start Newton pair sensors ride

enhanced procedure
start Newton, pair sensors, set elevation

Maximum precision steps:
start Newton, pair sensors, set elevation, perform wind cal, check tilt, what ever (ie choosing an appropriate profile for the type of ride)

I am just new to this device but I want to know what is the best practices to achieve different levels of precision, and accuracy. These could be in the appendix to your manual. Really searching the forum is nice but not effective or efficient for a new user. I know it is easy to get the device up and running but different users want differing level of precision and accuracy.
Drissmalet

Post by Drissmalet »

I am new to this and let me state that I agree 100%
I won't mind AT ALL spending time doing great calibration exercise to get the best results and most accuracy possible. (That is If indeed Calibration is that critical to accuracy)