Post ride analysis

benlane

Post ride analysis

Post by benlane »

Yesterday I set out in cool ,but dry weather. the heavens opened after about 90 minutes and the speed was still caclulating but on screen power was hit and miss. After about 3 and a half hours of the ride (and nearly home) I had a check of the wind - (i had done the usual calibration at the start of the ride) - it was showing wind speed of 48mph which was wrong and hence showing power of 700 watts when I was really just glass cranking.
I am guessing the deluge of rain to be responsible.

Is it possible that I can repair this section of the ride - otherwise when i drop it into WKO it shows silly numbers for 5 sec peaks etc.
philatlondon

Re: Post ride analysis

Post by philatlondon »

iBike doesn't work in heavy rain, as the pressure port gets blocked and gives some very weird power figures. It is possible to correct the raw power data in wko, but I've not figured out a way of pasting a value into multiple cells in one go. This makes it very laborious. I've tried to correct the numbers in excel, but then I couldn't import the file back into wko. Any ideas from more technically adept users would be welcome.

Has anyone come up with a fix to stop the rain getting into the pressure port? Would it be possible to make a little hood or would this upset the air flow into the port too much?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The iBike/iAero files are save as .csv extensions. Save your file, quit iB2 software and open a copy of the file you just saved with Excel. The second column has the wind data. You should be able to scan down the column and locate the errant data. Just type a corrected number into one of the cells, copy and paste that down as far as you want. You could even copy the speed numbers from the first column into the wind column. That would give you no head or tailwind, you could increase it all or some or decrease the wind slightly depending on what you perceive your ride to be.

Now be sure to save the file as a csv extension (very important) and when you get a warning about losing some of the features of an excel file just click yes. Finally close Excel and you should get another warning that the file has not been saved in xls format. Do not save it in XLS format. That's it.

Open IB2 and open the copy of the file you just worked on. Now click autoanalyze and your changes will be reflected. Try it, you can't break anything.

If you are still stuck, send me a PM with your email or post the file here and I will try to make the changes for you and post it back.
Fernando
benlane

Post by benlane »

Thanks Racerfern,
I used to do that type of editing before the new software drop some months back.

I played around with my file and to be honest i think i will just write it off, it was on 1 second recording so I have a few thousand rows where wind is recorded at 0 mph, then another few thousand where it goes to 40 - 50 mph.

Bit annoying as it was the first sunday in a while when i have not been racing and thought I'd see what the numbers looked like on a long steady ride, but hey ho.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

@ benlane

Don't forget you could just take the entire speed column (or a portion of it) and copy it in one fell swoop to the wind column. That will yield zero wind but it's better than nothing.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When the wind port is jammed-up with rain that can be a problem. We'll see if Travis can do some software magic to deal with this problem. :)
John Hamann
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

I ran into a similar problem this past weekend also in heavy rain. Once the rain got heavy my power increased to the 700 watt range, very flattering. I'm going to go back and make the edits suggested by Fernado to try and correct the data.
benlane wrote:Yesterday I set out in cool ,but dry weather. the heavens opened after about 90 minutes and the speed was still caclulating but on screen power was hit and miss. After about 3 and a half hours of the ride (and nearly home) I had a check of the wind - (i had done the usual calibration at the start of the ride) - it was showing wind speed of 48mph which was wrong and hence showing power of 700 watts when I was really just glass cranking.
I am guessing the deluge of rain to be responsible.
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Velocomp wrote:When the wind port is jammed-up with rain that can be a problem. We'll see if Travis can do some software magic to deal with this problem. :)
It's on the list of things to implement.

Travis