Wind Offset

bkr

Wind Offset

Post by bkr »

Today after doing the tilt calibration I check the wind offset and the values were all over the place in the range of +83.9 to -94.7 and different values in between. Each one staying for maybe a second. I tried several times to zero it out, but the values kept jumping around within the above range,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the white iBike with wireless mount and the 1.16 firmware.
Thanks.
Site_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wind Offset

Post by Site_Admin »

Hmmm. Try a hard reset on the iBIke (flip the battery and then reinsert it), but this does sound like a bum air pressure sensor.

E-mail me off-list and we'll get it resolved.
Itcy-Tichy

Post by Itcy-Tichy »

I noticed the same thing this weekend at my races. However, now looking back at my outdoor power profiles (I use the iBike mainly indoors on my trainer) I've noticed average windspeeds over 200 mph. I'm assuming this isn't correct even though it gets real windy here in Kansas.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Do you set your trainer mode to off when you outdoors? Perhaps it is expecting no real wind. Just a thought.
Fernando
Itcy-Tichy

Post by Itcy-Tichy »

I had the trainer mode set off. The odd thing is that when I upload my ride, I don't get too many outrageous power reading like I'd expect if I had a 20 mph wheelspeed and a 200 mph headwind.
racerfern wrote:Do you set your trainer mode to off when you outdoors? Perhaps it is expecting no real wind. Just a thought.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If your wind offset won't quickly settle down to zero something is wrong. Please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com and we'll figure out what is going on.
John Hamann
Isaias

Post by Isaias »

Won't a high wind scaling factor cause the readings to jump around as described?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I just spoke with bkr and together we solved his problem.

He had upgraded his firmware from 114 to 116. For reasons that I don't fully understand, sometimes when the upgrade is done the internal pointers of the firmware get confused and cause this wild-wind offset problem.

The fix is simple: downgrade the iBike's firmware to 114 (or earlier). After downgrading check wind offset to be certain that it is stable (it was in bkr's case). Then, upgrade to 116. Check wind offset again to confirm that it remains stable.

This problem happens rarely and this fix seems to do the job every time.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Important post script for this problem: bkr emailed us and reported that he determined the root-cause of the wacky wind readings: the wind scaling factor in his profile was 614! That is, his measured wind speed was being multiplied by 614; this caused his wind numbers to jump around like crazy.

Normal wind scaling factors will be between 0.5 and 2.0.

When the 114/116 firmware "fix" was applied the wind scaling factor within his iBike was reset to the default number 1.0 and bkr's crazy wind readings went away; however, when he reapplied his old profile the problem came back...

The likely cause of the hugely incorrect wind scaling factor is (oddly enough) is an INCORRECT wind offset prior to performing the coast downs and calibration ride. If the wind offset is incorrect (that is, offset is not zero as it should be, but instead is very negative) then during the calibrations the reported wind speed will be very low due to a negative wind offset. If the wind offset is negative then the measured wind speed will be much lower than the measured bike speed.

A negative wind offset can happen when the iBike is taken from indoors to cold outdoors and the wind offset is not reset after the iBike has cooled.

After the calibration rides the iBike 2 software will notice the very low wind speed compared to bike speed and compensate by multiplying the very low wind speed by a huge wind scaling multiplier to get the "correct" wind speed.

bkr fixed his crazy wind problems by going to the Edit Profiles screen in iBike 2, clicking on "Advanced", and setting the wind scaling factor back to around 1.0. Of course, bkr will need to perform new coast downs and calibration ride, this time with wind offset at zero prior to starting the ride...

So, the iBike owner lesson is simple: make sure to let your iBike adjust to outdoor temperature before performing the wind offset calibration.

Also, we will change the next revision of iBike 2 to flag this problem, NOT apply an obviously incorrect wind scaling problem, and provide a warning message if this problem is identified.
John Hamann