Garmin GSC-10 v. iBike Sensors

SHPTri

Garmin GSC-10 v. iBike Sensors

Post by SHPTri »

I've got a Garmin 305 with Garmin HRM and the GSC-10 sensor on my road bike. I just bought an iPro and I'm planning on purchasing the GT upgrade. I will use the iPro on both my road bike and my tri bike. I know that my Garmin 305 will read the iBike HRM (I tested it this morning) but will it also read the iBike wireless speed and cadence sensors? If not, I will probably buy a second GSC-10 for my tri bike. Even if the Garmin can read the iBike speed/cadence does it make sense to get another GSC-10 for convenience (one sensor instead of two)?

Thanks
NCH1

Re: Garmin GSC-10 v. iBike Sensors

Post by NCH1 »

The ibike speed and cadence sensors have the capability to communicate with other Ant+ Sport devices [1]. Garmin is/owns Ant+ Sport. Whether you should purchase Garmin or ibike is a matter of choice-they are both equal. I purchased an additional GSC-10 for my track bike solely on the basis that the cost of postage of the ibike sensors brought the total cost to that of the purchase price of the GSC-10 here in Australia.

Nik

[1]http://www.ibikesports.com/detail.aspx?ID=25
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

The Garmin 305 will NOT read the iBike wireless speed and cadence sensors. The 305 isn't ANT+ capable but that isn't the real issue as the 705 will not read the iBike speed and cadence sensors either. At least mine won't. Just because manufacturers claim ANT+ capability doesn't mean that you can switch sensors and/or devices at will. Only certain protocols for listening and broadcasting are recognized.

IMO if you're going to use a Garmin device and an iBike in conjunction, it makes sense to use the GSC-10. Battery life is excellent and they're a pretty reliable sensor.
Fernando
benlane

Post by benlane »

So - does the Garmin dual speed/cadence sensor work solely with the ibike head unit?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

As this thread says, Garmin owns the ANT+ technology.

The GSC-10 combined speed/cadence sensor is manufactured specifically for Garmin. It uses a specific "Channel" for its broadcasts. Let's call it channel 4

The iBike speed and cadence sensors are manufactured by a different company and use a different channel for their broadcasts. Let's call it channel 3.

Garmin has elected not to receive channel 3 broadcasts. So, the iBike sensors won't be picked up by Garmin products.

iBike wireless units picks up channel 3 broadcasts. With the optional GT firmware, the iBike can pick up both channel 3 and channel 4 broadcasts. So, an iBike GT will pick up any available ANT+ speed and cadence mount, both ours and Garmin's and, for that matter, other ANT+ sensors, including the Trek speed trap and duo trap.
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

benlane wrote:So - does the Garmin dual speed/cadence sensor work solely with the ibike head unit?
The Garmin dual speed/cadence sensor works with any unit designed to receive that channel. Garmin units of course, the iBike and possibly others.
Fernando
SHBike

Post by SHBike »

John/Fernando: Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll get a second GSC-10. I'll try to sell the iBike sensors.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Keep in mind that the iBike sensors work just fine. You can easily have one profile with a garmin combo sensor and one profile with iBike sensors. Unless it's just for the look of one sensor, the iBike sensors will certainly be up to the task.
Fernando
SHPTri

Post by SHPTri »

racerfern wrote:Keep in mind that the iBike sensors work just fine. You can easily have one profile with a garmin combo sensor and one profile with iBike sensors. Unless it's just for the look of one sensor, the iBike sensors will certainly be up to the task.
No doubt they are great. However, my thinking was that by using the GSC-10, I can monitor and record the speed (wheel-based) and cadence on both the iBike and my Garmin 305. If I use the iBike sensors I'll have the wheel-based speed and cadence on the iBike but not the 305.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Yup, you got that right. As I said previously, if using a Garmin and iBike on the same bike, the combo sensor makes sense.
Fernando
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

I think for some reason I assumed the original poster was speaking of the ibike GT firmware update for the Edge 705, possibly because the issue of the Edge 305's Ant+ incompatibility has been discussed before on the forum- my mistake.

Nik
Avanti

Post by Avanti »

Honestly, after ridiing with both the 705 and IBike for the last couple of months....I question why you would want the Garmin on there, honestly the IBike does everything it does except for GPS etc. The one thing I like about having the Garmin on board are it's audible alarms and backlight display. Personally I'm riding less and less with the Garmin these days. Just my 2 bits worth.
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

I guess it is a matter of personal choice whether to run both, and therefore not really a reflection on the quality of the ibike's features. I'd be interested to here other people's reasons for running both. For me, lighting and GPS are important. Being an info junkie and enjoying my cockpit of data-power zones etc, is another. I also record two different data sets for use in different analysis software, so both units are required.

Nik
My 2 cents/personal choice
TomLCole

Garmin 500 will read iBike Sensors

Post by TomLCole »

I have recently purchased a Garmin 500. I have iBike Sensors (Speed and Cadence) on 4 different bikes. The Garmin 500 has read all of the senors without any problems........so I have not purchased any Garmin GSC-10 sensors. The Garmin 500 reads my iBike heart monitor as well.
crazymadcyclist

Post by crazymadcyclist »

Nik you asked other ppl's opinions so here is my 2 cents worth ---

I use the Garmin 705 and an iPro GT. The Garmin is the repositorty for the data ie every thing i measure and want to analyse. This is easy to import into analysis software like SportsTracks (Training analysis add-ons is needed) or Training Peaks. ?using this software i can analyse power, CP curves, scatters diag, Training load analysis, HR curves, fitness test results/ analysis, training logs, routes and desgin courses etc and more importantly design training plans and track improvement. GPS is useful in this regard. Personally i also prefer the menu and display of the Garmin. The iPro feels light and "plastic" and i dont like the display at all which is a little industrial (I realise the latter two points are to save weight/cost etc, but this is my preferrence and it does not detract from what a great product the iPro is).

The iPro is great for the measurement of power-- the gramin has to get it from somewhere. I upgraded from a iSport as without the iBike s/ware it really was impossible to work out if i have a good calibation, and therfore reliable CdA, Crr etc. The iBike software also alows you to tweek the calibration and even a power track- (ride). It does not have, that i am aware of, the analysis capability, training logs, calendars etc that wko+ or SportsTracks has. That is it is meant for a different purpose- the measurement of indirect power as accurately as possible.

The major issue is having to have TWO units on the bike (and attracting "geek flak" from the bunch). Mounting presents a major problem (see my post on Mounting probem and variable Aero readings) -- where do you mount the unit -- has to go on the bar or stem, meaning the garmin goes on the bar, stem or top tube (latter being a great solution).

Ideal World Ask -- a combined 705 and iPro -- all in one unit. This would surely have it all a Road cyclist could ask for. :D
Maybe a Gen iv design idea ?

Kevin
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I have my Garmin 705 mounted on the top tube - I did place a strip of rubber on the underside to stop the mount from slipping back as the top tube on a Madone is tapered. I also use only the GSC-10 sensor for speed/cadence. This all works very nicely and the iBike is on the handlebar - in part because my stem is a Bontrager XXX and not round - the other part was that when I purchased my original iPro, the stem mount was not even being sold. So, I do have the GT frimware upgrade, but this allows me to also use the Garmin 305 on my hybrid.

Tom
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Great thread!

A few questions.

Isn't the ibike compatible with training peaks software? There was a mention that the iBike software wasn't very useful. How does it compare to Garmin's Training center? I had heard that the 705 doesn't record the power readings. Has that changed? I'm thinking it's cheaper to buy a used 705 than it is upgrading my iSport. If I got a 705 (and it does record power) I could just pay for the GT upgrade and use the 705 to download workout information. It would make downloading to MMR a lot easier too. But, I am looking at a Dakota 20, because I would use the GPS more for MTBing. But the Dakota doesn't do power. I suspect that if the new 500 works with iBike's sensors, the Dakota might, meaning I could avoid the costly GT upgrade ($100!).
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
rcmaps

Post by rcmaps »

You may think that the iBike software isn't very good but I find it invaluable in post processing power figures after downloading. Depending on weather, wind and tilt changes quite often power readings changes significantly after post processing.
Garmin 500 doesn't have mapping capability but the Dakota, Oregon And 705 does. However out of the three only the 705 displays power readings.

You may wish to wait and upgrade to the iDash if you have the iPhone. Seems like this unit has the potential to incorporate the 705 and iAero.

However you may need to purchase offline maps if you don't want to chew up your phones data when using google maps.
KenS

Post by KenS »

jazclrint wrote:I had heard that the 705 doesn't record the power readings. Has that changed? I'm thinking it's cheaper to buy a used 705 than it is upgrading my iSport. If I got a 705 (and it does record power) I could just pay for the GT upgrade and use the 705 to download workout information.
I've got an iSport with GT and a Garmin 705. The Garmin does indeed record the power readings. On top of that it has display options for instantaneous readings, 3 second moving average and 30 second moving average. I use the 3 second moving average as it eliminates the big spikes/dips but is still responsive. I find the 30 second average a bit slow.
-- Ken
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Thanks guys. It sounds like I really want to upgrade to the iPro at some point. Knowing the numbers change that much after processing is discouraging to hear as an iSport owner. But it does help me make up my mind a bit more. If I'm going to have to put a bunch of money into upgrading the iSport, then I might as well get the Dakota, where going with the 705 really isn't going to save me the costs of upgrading anyway.

Thanks guys,
Rich
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
jesawdy

Post by jesawdy »

rcmaps wrote:Garmin 500 doesn't have mapping capability but the Dakota, Oregon And 705 does. However out of the three only the 705 displays power readings.
I think by the three you mean the Dakota, Oregon and 705, but just to clarify for others that may find this thread, the Garmin Edge 500 also does record power data from a wireless iBike unit (with the GT firmware). Of course this data is whatever the iBike sends it, so not post processed data if that matters to you.

I like the Garmin Edge 500 a lot. No it does not tell you where you are, but all I care about is where I've been. Its also nice and compact, and it is all I can do to press the buttons on my iAero... :lol: